Wednesday, June 13, 2007

wan noor atikah

How many times have people said that to you in your lifetime?

The words are great to hear. They make us feel all warm and mushy inside. Of course, there are different kinds of love. Our minister may say "I love you" but it means something different than when our child says, "I love you". And of course it means something entirely different when our lover says, "I love you."

How do we know what those words mean and are the words enough? I know women like to hear the words, too many years of living with the silent types who can’t say the words can grate on a person after a while. But its possible to hear the words over and over from people who don’t show it, and the words become meaningless.

A child who is regularly beaten by his parents hears the words "I love you" and begins to think that love means being hit. A child whose parents left her at her grandparents for weeks on end hear the words "I love you" and learns that the words mean abandonment. The words are only meaningful through the action that accompanies them.

No comments: